September is National Organic Harvest Month and a perfect time to take a look at organic food production.
Use At Least 10% Organic For A Better World
Here are some statistics from Mountain Rose Herbs concerning the incorporation of organic products into our own lifestyles. By converting at least 10% of your food, fiber and cosmetic purchases you will;
- Eliminate pesticides from 98 million daily U.S. servings of drinking water.
- Assure 20 million daily servings of milk that are produced without antibiotics & genetically modified growth hormones.
- Assure 53 million daily servings of pesticide-free fruit and vegetables. (Enough for 10 million kids to have five daily servings.)
- Eliminate use of growth hormones, genetically engineered drugs and feeds, and 2.5 million pounds of antibiotics used on livestock annually. (More than twice the amount of antibiotics used to treat human infections.)
- Assure that 915 million animals are treated more humanely.
- Fight climate change by capturing an additional 6.5 billion pounds of carbon in soil. (That's the equivalent of taking 2 million cars, each averaging 12,000 miles per year, off the road.)
- Eliminate 2.9 billion barrels of imported oil annually. (Equal to 406,000 Olympic eight-lane competition pools.)
- Restore 25,800 square miles of degraded soils to rich, highly productive cropland. (An amount of land equal to the size of West Virginia.)
“The earth is the Lord’s, and everything in it,
the world and all who live in it”