Need a unique gift for a gardener? Create a windowsill herb kit, so the growing can continue inside through the winter months!
All you need is a waterproof lined paper bag (I use ones meant to package food or tea, but you could use any heavy-weight decorative bag and use a freezer bag liner), potting soil mix to fill half the bag, pea gravel/fish tank gravel to form 1” in the bottom of the bag, large sealable plastic bag (large enough to contain the potted bag), seed packet and a seed packet holder (optional).
Simply label/decorate bag, package soil mix and gravel separately and place inside bag with large sealable plastic bag and instructions, fasten shut, punch a hole and add seed packet in holder or tie punched seed packet to bag with ribbon. Some herbs to use include: basil, chives, cilantro, dill and parsley – my favorite is chives!
Instructions for use:
WINDOWSILL HERB KIT
- Cut grow bag in half (use pinking shears/decorative scissors if desired)
- Lightly moisten the enclosed soil mix packet
- Add gravel to the grow bag for drainage then add and level the soil
- Open seed packet and sprinkle seeds over soil and cover with reserved soil mix
- Lightly water with a spray bottle
- Place entire potted grow bag in large sealable plastic bag and set in a warm area out of direct sunlight
- When seeds sprout, remove plastic bag and place in a bright location to grow
- Water as needed, but avoid over watering
“All hard work brings a profit,
but mere talk leads only to poverty.”