Saturday, August 16, 2014

BLOG HOP

clip_image002

 

 

 

 

This is my first Blog Hop!  I was invited to answer 4 questions plus introduce you to other bloggers that I know and follow by a good friend who shared about me, so now it’s my turn to share.

  

1. What am I writing or working on?

My writing consists of blog posts at least a couple times a week on Tuesdays, Thursdays and sometimes Saturdays.  I also have completed 4 booklets on “Edible Flowers,” “Entertaining with Herb Blends,” “Soup Herbs,” and “Tea Time Gatherings” – all of which contain not only lots of information but also lots of recipes!  These booklets are self-published only and have limited local availability.  I am currently working on another booklet “Garden Herbscapes” featuring combinations of herbs for a specific purpose such as a specific ethnic cuisine or for their association in another way such as found referenced in the works of Shakespeare.

2. How does my work differ from others of its genre?

The posts on my blog are for the most part informational and objective rather than personal and subjective.  Most posts with the exception of the category “Special Blessings” are not at all personal in nature, but are meant to teach or train the reader in some area that can be useful and enrich their lives.

3. Why do I write what I do?

After closing my business due to a move to Florida, I needed an outlet to continue to share with others.  I had been writing two separate blogs – one for the business and one more inspirational and decided to combine them in a new format.  Also, as part of my business I had club subscriptions that included an informational monthly newsletter along with a sample of teas or herbs, so these newsletters initially became the foundational posts for the new blog.  The categories were expanded and now include 15 main topics which are covered on a regular basis with lots and lots of recipes plus activities such as demonstrations, presentations and special blessings!  This new blog also provides the opportunity to share my faith with Bibles verses for each post and an inspirational category for a closer look into the Scriptures and a relationship with Jesus Christ.  People read my blog from a variety of countries around the world and for some it may be their only available exposure to the Word of God.

4. How does my writing process work?

The writing process for my blog is also probably quite different from “normal.”  I research and write my blog posts a month ahead using Windows LiveWriter and post them in advance for their scheduled dates.  This provides less stress for me and allows them to be posted on a regular basis even when I am off visiting family or exploring with my husband.  The only exceptions are the activities which are written and posted following the event.  I also have numerous files on possible topics on my computer and in print that have been collected over the last 20 years and I am continually adding more, although I plan to slow the posting to once a week starting in 2015!

Now that you know a little more about me, check out these bloggers and their blogs:

image

 

Lisa Engel is a personal friend and one of my spiritual mentors.  She is an author, former High School teacher, present Homeschool Mom/Teacher to her 3 sons, and is married to her favorite nurse/husband of 24 years. Lisa has been blogging since 2006 and her blog entitled: The Journey of Superhero Mom was chosen to be featured in a Mom’s Who Blog article a few years back. Lisa has authored a workbook for middle school children to accompany an adventure series and is in the process of editing a devotional that she has written. She is a passionate lover of Jesus and has used the gifts God has given her by serving in women’s ministry for over 20 years. She also loves to bake, especially cookies, and has another blog where she shares her recipes - Krypton’s Kitchen.

image

 

Carrie Harris is my daughter-in-love and I recently had the opportunity to watch her behind the scenes as she prepared for one of her blog posts!  Carrie is a freelance food and lifestyle photographer and the editor of A SWEET SPOT: HOME the blog and A SWEET SPOT: HOME Magazine, two lifestyle publications with a strong emphasis on food and beautiful food photography. In her free time, Carrie enjoys reading and spending time with her family including her husband (our son, Scott), two kids (our grandkids: Lauren & Colin), and their chubby cat, Colours. A gallery of Carrie’s photos can also be found online at CARRIE HARRIS Food Photography - High quality, unique food and lifestyle photography.

image

 

Doris Swift is a writer, speaker, teacher, and devoted follower of Jesus, who is passionate about discipling women of all generations, encouraging them to walk deeper in faith, and supporting them in developing their gifts for ministry. She is the good friend that invited me to the Blog Hop and featured me with two other bloggers I also know and follow in this recent post on her blog – Walking Deeper.  Check them all out!

                                                                                                   Joyce

1 comment:

Doris said...

Hi Joyce! Enjoyed reading your answers, and learning the story behind your blog.

Your blog is beautifully and professionally crafted, and love how you share your knowledge. Tea, herbs, with a splash if faith!

Do you ever write for magazines? Just curious since you didn't mention it if you had; if not, perhaps you might consider it!

Thanks for the mention; a nice surprise at the end!